October 28, 2012

How much is enough?

For this post, I would like to hone in on a specific question: how much is enough?

How much money do we need before we can be happy?

I learned something today. I learned that most economists have shifted from a view wherein the purpose of money was to have enough to enjoy life to a view which expresses the constant need for money, irrespective of how much is actually obtained. As an individual, I question this new philosophy.

Some people will hate me for even asking this question. They're investment bankers, kids with trust funds, the greedier ones in our society. I wouldn't mind making a ton of money. In fact, I would thoroughly enjoy it. But not if it compromises my life in some way.

I often wonder if we've got it wrong in North America. There's a clear dichotomy between North America and Europe where most of North America is focused on working longer and longer hours to get as much money as humanly possible while Europe seems to express family and leisure time as a prominent part of their society with monetary collection being something necessary for many of the things life has to offer, but not the primary focus.

Could you imagine what our society would be like here if we were to adopt the same ideals? Well I'm one person and I am adopting these ideals. I want to make enough money to get all the things I need and want and could care less if I make more than what I deem necessary for full enjoyment of my life. I will not work ridiculous hours for dollars I might never spend with the opportunity cost of missing out on social connections with friends and family.

Having explored that a little bit I will again ask the question, "How much money do we need before we can be happy?" I'd like to insert my own two cents at the end of this discussion as well: if we need to ask that question, are we truly on the road to happiness to begin with?

0 comments:

Post a Comment