December 21, 2011

Story update and thoughts of a busy schedule

This post will serve as somewhat of a sounding board for me to organize my thoughts, as writing often does for me.

I think I'm going to have to scrap my current short story idea. While there are a lot of new elements that I've incorporated into it (namely the sexual aspect), I feel that not all of it flows particularly well. It's kind of like I've got pieces to a puzzle but it's not the puzzle I was actually working on at the time. I'd like to take those pieces and reorganize them into different stories so I can make something I'll actually be pleased with. I'm still highly interested in completed either part of a story or an entire short story this holiday season, but it's going to have to wait a little bit.

I'm committed to the fantasy genre and to developing memorable characters and settings inside of it. It's very much a work-in-progress most of the time, but eventually I want to push the envelope in a tasteful and intriguing way that calls some things we accept as certainties into question. In all likelihood I'm going to have to expand my writing repertoire by reading more and choosing what I read carefully. I recognize that may take a while and will continue writing in the meantime to try to improve on that front as well.

In other news, I've been giving increasing thought to things and hobbies I've always wanted to do but have never taken up either because I felt I didn't have the time or because I didn't have as strong of an interest at that time. However, I'm wondering if some of it might be too much on my plate right now. The MBA program keeps me plenty busy. Combine that with curling, writing, music, and a social life, and you've got one hell of a tough schedule to keep. What will likely happen is that the focus will shift back and forth continuously in such a way that I focus on a given two or three of them at a time. Only time will tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment