June 24, 2012

The magic of words, communication, and mystery.

Words have a certain way of legitimizing things. Maybe that's why I love them so much.

The other aspect about words I like is that they give clarity to thought. I've always found myself to be a very deep thinker and have been criticized for not making a huge effort to voice what I think and why I think it. Well, that's where words come in. They help me tell a story and pull a few thoughts from my mired mind, putting them under a microscope for those who are interested to observe (which is actually one purpose this blog serves).

I find that words not only bring order to chaos, but have a certain magic of their own. I liken it to a painter painting on a blank canvas. The painter has other methods of communication but none so effective and as important to him as what he could do with his paintbrush and a blank canvas. I'm not trying to compare myself to a famous painter or anything like that but I do feel a certain appeal of written communication over even verbal communication. (On a side note: Wouldn't it be kind of cool if we were all still sending handwritten letters to each other and writing terrible poetry?)

I guess there are certain parts of my personality that might seem a little bit antiquated when compared to the modern man. I like to write. I like to write bad poetry. I like to write in this introspective blog. Somewhat ironically (to me, at least), I do most of this on a computer with internet access, on social media.

I frequently wonder if we're getting too over-communicated and have posted on that topic before. There's so much emphasis today on saying absolutely everything that we're starting to forget that the quality of our thoughts matter so much more than the quantity of them. When so much is written, who will read between the lines anymore? I am suggesting that we might be better served to be just a little more secretive and a little less open than modern society would have us be. I'm not telling people to play all their cards close to their chest; I'm suggesting that we volunteer a little less to find out who wants the information before we send it out to absolutely everyone.

If I use myself as an example, I probably don't voice every single thing I think or feel but have no problem with telling people who ask about what I think. In short: I'm an open book...as long as you open the book. Words are magic and are written inside that book, describing its contents. I find that adds a little bit of mystery. And let's face it, everyone loves a good mystery, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment