June 3, 2012

Thoughts about my future and the future of others as well

I often think about the future; of my own and of the people's around me. I think about what people want and why they want it. I think about what I want and why I want it.

I've done a very small amount of travelling in the world. More than many and less than many. I'd like to think that I've gained a little bit of scope in my "travels."

I've talked to many people about where they want to live and what type of job they want to do and have noticed a few things. There seem to be a large number of people who have no idea what they want to do or where they want to do it. There is an almost alarming amount of people who do seem to know exactly what they want to do and where they want to do it as well. What there doesn't seem to be a lot of is people in the middle. And by that I don't necessarily mean people who know one thing and not the other but rather people who aren't completely certain or uncertain about either of these details.

Take me, for instance. I'm relatively sure I want to remain in Atlantic Canada and work in the business field. Unlike some, I've more or less come a decision about where I want to live and what type of job I'd like to have. Unlike others, I don't know the exact details of what it is I will end up doing and where exactly it will take place. Am I regular? Are most people like this or do I fall outside of the norm in some way?

My point is that we tend to label ourselves as knowing or not knowing without imagining any type of middle ground in between. I'm the type of person who believes that there is never just black or white, but always grey. I think I frequently fall into grey categories and have a difficult time identifying others who think along the same lines. I don't mean that I'm having difficulty finding people to have an intellectual conversation with or something like that. I mean that I'd like to identify others that have some of the same uncertainties (for lack of a better word) and connect with them.

I wonder if it's a question not of looking elsewhere but of searching the same area in a way I had not looked before. Kind of like when something's been "right under your nose" for a period of time and you fail to notice it until something convinces you to look there for it. How many other things like that are there in life and what are we missing out on by giving into tunnel vision?

0 comments:

Post a Comment