October 15, 2011

The mind as a weapon

The mind is a weapon.

There's a common belief in society that I feel is a misconception. It is the belief that there is a limited number of things that we can be good at. I'm not saying that if I asked someone they wouldn't tell me they think they can do a great number of things well because that wouldn't happen. I believe that there is a societal cause that makes people believe they can only be great at a few things.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'm good at everything. I'm not. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'm good at nothing. That's sure as hell not true. I'll mention upfront that I've got an ego and I recognize the effect it probably has on my perception. I like that about me. I'm great at more than a few things. I like that too.

Maybe the things that I'm good at might not be apparent to people other than myself. Granted, there are some activities that I do that no one else has seen. Take some of my writing for example. Not the stuff on here but the stuff in my personal collection. The novel I've begun to write is a great example. Thus far it dwarfs all my other works and has a lot of potential. It's very unlikely that someone will see it until I've got in the form I'd like to have it presented in. Other things might be more apparent. I'd like to think that I'm a deep thinker and a good strategist.

It's probably pointless to even argue this. Everyone is going to say something along the lines of what I've said. I have abilities few people are aware of and some that many people are aware of. We all do. Nice point of commonality there. My real point I'm hoping to drive home here (and I've stated this time and again) is that I think people need to be more self-confident in general and believe in themselves. The mind is powerful. As humans it's the most powerful weapon we have at our disposal. And it is a weapon. But you've got to be careful. If you let that weapon turn against you, it could really mess up your perspective. But if you look at situations as opportunities and your own potential as limitless, the mind is the weapon that helps you implement what you already know about yourself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment