October 10, 2011

Does Thanksgiving mean that much?

Thanksgiving is upon us. The turkey has likely entered your stomach to be digested by the acids residing inside and the turkey hangover associated therein is soon to begin. We also have a week of eating that huge-ass turkey for every meal to be thankful for. But seriously, does all of it really matter that much in 2011?

The obvious answer is no. At least in Canada the answer is no. To most of us all it means is that a turkey is likely to be eaten and you'll have your Monday off of school or work or whatever. So what is the meaning of the holiday, really?

Well, I took a look on wikipedia and found a lot of boring stuff about people making successful voyages and celebrating their homecoming. Basically completely different than the American version (which I'm sure the vast majority of them could recite from memory as is it was a nursery rhyme. However, they think all of Canada is perpetually covered in snow and are barely even aware of its existence).

It's funny. Americans freak out about their Thanksgiving. We don't really seem to care other than the fact that it gives you a holiday. It's like one-fifth of a March Break or Spring Break or whatever retarded name you want to squabble over to call it.

Personally, I don't see the big fuss. Now, this isn't only because I already have Mondays off anyway, but rather, I never saw the importance of the holiday to begin with. I like having family suppers as much as the next guy but that's about all the day has to offer really. I don't know the history behind our Thanksgiving without looking it up. I daresay the vast majority of us don't. If you do go on Jeopardy or something, seriously.

I'm not trying to belittle everyone's celebrations. I just want to be that voice in the back of your head that says, "Is this really necessary?"

From a labour point of view, we need it. I've learned that Canada has one of the highest working hours of any first-world country. So we'll take all the days off we can get.

Now Christmas, there's a freaking holiday. It's awesome. You get a lot of days off, presents, and the religious aspect is satisfied if you're into that kind of thing. Hell, I'll even take Easter. Christianity has some kickass holidays. I'm spiritual but I'll just pretend to be Christian when they come along.

I'm going to lump Thanksgiving in with the likes of Valentine's Day (except for the massive depression that Valentine's Day has. It still kills less people than Christmas depression, but still). It seems like the drive to sell more turkey as Valentine's is the drive to sell chocolate, diamond rings, and condoms. So really, it doesn't have a whole lot of meaning anymore. I'm sure it did at one time but that time has long passed us.

Anyway, just a little bit of food for thought. Enjoy the day off and the nice meal. You've earned it, internet people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment