November 12, 2011

My 'Life' To-Do List

I've noticed with the small amount of free time I've been given recently that there are a great many things I would like to do at some time. The only problem is that, at present, I've not the time to do any of them.

With the exception of this 1.5-2 week period, school has taken up a lot of my time this term. The bright side to my current position is that there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, halfway through the tunnel there's a skylight, more like. Be that as it may, there will be a repose and I've been wondering what I will choose to do with that repose. To that end, I've been trying to come up with things I'd like to do but haven't done yet. Some may be possible over a Christmas break, some might not be. I'll at least start a list that I might be able to go back to at some point.

This one's recurring so whoever's reading these on a regular basis won't be surprised that much: I'd like to learn how to play piano. This one definitely isn't something that can be done over the Christmas break. I want the ability to be able to play at least "recreationally" well. Like, to be able to sound something I hear out and make an approximation of what it might sound like on piano. Maybe I could play for other people at parties or something. I think it would be pretty cool. I like piano pieces. I find them quite a bit more moving than some of the contemporary music that's out there. Maybe it's that it's more focused or evokes more feeling. Who knows?

I'd like to finally make some headway on the novel that's in my head. I know this could happen at any time, but I'm reading all the time for school that I often don't feel like looking at more words - even if they are my own. I've got this thing all planned out and executing it just seems like such a daunting task. I guess that might mean I'm not a true writer. People would say, "If you like writing then write and stop complaining about it." I think that's an uninspired commentary that a lot of people would have about me. The thing is, I don't want to just do one thing. So naturally I'm going to end up taking shit about a variety of topics from a variety of people. But you know what? I've probably got a lot more different things on the go right now than they do so I don't expect them to understand. People can get tunnel vision sometimes. Add on to that the fact that we only see what we expect to see and...Well...That's that I guess.

I'd like to get in a little better shape. That one should be something I'm doing already and can happen at literally any time. A few small problems, though. One is that my schedule is so dynamic it can easily throw off things like eating times and time that I have to do pretty much anything in a given day. The other thing is that I still like to drink because it's fun. People will say, "If you want to get in great shape, you can't be drinking a lot at the same time." This time "people" are absolutely right. So maybe that goal is a little unattainable unless I'm willing to commit to a change in lifestyle. At this point in time, I don't really see a change in lifestyle happening, so excuse me while I go grab another beer.

I'm sure there's more but I'm at a loss for what right now. So far I'll be playing the piano while dictating a novel to someone and drinking a bunch of beer, all while running on some crazy treadmill. Sounds like a pretty screwed up way to spend one's time. Then again, I wouldn't consider myself an ordinary person by any means, so maybe it isn't. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment