November 30, 2011

Professional Development Write Up: Networking Seminar


Darren Sears recently gave a seminar on networking to the MBA Professional Development class. Much of the focus was initially on dispelling myths about networking while clarifying the actual processed that are at play in effective networking. To that end, a handout entitled “The Branded Networker” was given out that contained numerous examples and exercises designed to facilitate the study of networking. As well, the seminar had an unintended side effect in that it made me consider how I differentiate myself and how that can be used to aid networking.
            Five popular networking myths are as follows:
1.      Networking doesn’t work.
2.      Networking just happens.
3.      Only outgoing people can network.
4.      I don’t have time to network.
5.      Networking only happens at events.
Darren’s presentation aided to dispel these myths. In response to the first myth listed, he pointed out that people are often afraid to network or get discouraged because they don’t see immediate results. Networking, he explained, is like farming in the sense that you are cultivated relationships for later use; The relationships frequently don’t pay off immediately. In response to the second myth listed, the handout states, “Networking is not a spectator sport. It’s not enough to just show up. You have to follow-up.” The follow-up can be almost as important as the initial contact between people and perpetuates any relationship. In response to the myth that only outgoing people can network the handout states, “Good news for those on the shy side. People at networking functions are expecting to be approached.” People who think they do not have the time to network may think that they are not experiencing a positive return on their time invested in the process, but in reality are attending the exact same networking functions and stagnating. In response to the final myth stating that networking only happens at events, the handout states that networking not only happens at events but anywhere and anytime people meet together. Networking is not so much about how many people you know but how many people know you.
            An activity we performed called “Sharpen the Nail” made me think about ways in which I differentiate myself and their effect on my environment and networking. It is very simple to describe yourself as honest, reliable, or any other token adjective. Everyone says they are honest and reliable. That doesn’t differentiate anyone in the long run. What is more useful was what this exercise had us do: think about our past experiences and how we got to this point in our lives and then attempt to come up with four terms to describe yourself, placing them on a figurative diamond. I, for one, would like to emphasize the things that make me different from other people while letting the more obvious aspects of myself pass unspoken, being legitimized by my actions rather than my words.
            My diamond described me as being a people person who is adventurous, eclectic in my interests, and creative. I was labelled as a people person because I love to be social and meet new people. The adventurous tip of the diamond is because I enjoy travelling and have been to South Korea to live and teach English. The eclectic tip of the diamond describes how I have interests in Business, Chemistry, Music, and Writing. My undergraduate degree focused on Chemistry, I’m currently in a Business degree, I aspire to learn how to play the piano, and I enjoy writing stories, novels, blogs, and poems. I am creative in the sense that I enjoy writing and music and the deep thoughts and feeling they instill within me. This all may seem like a pat on the back to myself (and it is) but I think it’s far more effective than saying that I’m nice, honest, reliable, dependable, funny, or anything else like that. It’s not so much about the bragging. It’s about forming connections with people and making a lasting impression. I’ve a much greater chance of making a lasting impression by focussing on what differentiates me rather than the qualities that make me similar to so many others.
            Since re-entering school in the MBA program, I’ve given a lot of thought to differentiating myself from others. I want to be seen as different and great in so many ways so I form a lot of connections and have employment opportunities when I finish the program. I think that others can benefit from this differentiating way of thinking as well. If you make legitimate efforts to hammer home certain aspects about yourself to others, you might just see a change in yourself, even if it’s not true to begin with. In that respect, I see the “Sharpen the Nail” exercise as being extremely helpful in my life and the MBA program. Hopefully it will prove to be helpful to me in the workforce as well. I like the Tyler Milson that I’ve created. That doesn’t mean that I won’t stop trying to improve him. But I’ve got to say, looking back on how things have went for me in this term and the recent past, so far so good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment