July 17, 2012

...And now I will give you unsolicited advice

Brace yourself. This is the post where I give everyone relationship advice despite having never been in a long-term relationship myself (and enjoying that fact about myself, actually).

I pondered human nature earlier today. I guess it's one of those things that you do at work. Pretty natural daily activity, really. Anyway, I thought of how the divorce rate is so unbelievably high and wondered what the fuck is wrong with the world. In doing so, I have determined a few things which I will explain in what follows.

People often say that relationships are built on compromise. I'm sure on some superficial level, that's true - like going to see a movie you don't want to or visiting someone's awful parents. But I feel like just because things are one way in the world, it doesn't mean that we can't change them. If something like a tool or machine is not working the way you want it to, you either fix it or get a better one. Why can we not apply that logic to other things? Relationships are built on compromise - that's stupid; it's like saying that people spend and give up things in order to have a partner. Why should it be like that? In my view, two people should add to one another in some type of synergy, to add to each other instead of subtract. Maybe that's why we have so much divorce...(Maybe that's why I'm still single and like being single, haha)

That opinion probably just represents one of my policies which is not to settle for anything less than the best. That's likely the cause of divorce; people settle when they shouldn't, get some type of immediate kickback and pay for it in the long-run (monetarily and emotionally).

Food for thought - I won't follow-through on this and attempt to give an answer because I haven't thought that far ahead and might not even have the problem right. Hopefully this provokes some thought about not only the quantity of relationships you have but also the quality of them.


0 comments:

Post a Comment