July 30, 2012

The Knight in Shining Armor


I break my fast and rush to the armory to equip myself
I don shining chainmail, gauntlets, helm, and greaves
I spy my holiest of swords, hanging on a nearby shelf
So I take it and slip it noiselessly into my waiting sheath

Last I see, just sitting there, a shield as lovely as it is rare
It’s the shield I’ve forged through many long battles
Though the once shiny surface will now not show glare
The shield is sadly now cracked with barbs on its handle

The shield that I wield is akin to a rose with its thorns
Though it is sweet to behold, it grows bitter with touch
The shield, it will no longer do and my hands it has torn
Perhaps it is time to finally stop using it like a crutch

My sword is now blunt and has been worn to the hilt
I wash my face and see eyes as dull as the edges now are
I must learn to sharpen with resolve instead of guilt
Lest I wake from my nightmare to find the battle too far

I wrestle with morals as with the life and death of men
For in saving the innocent I do so condemn us to fall
Into a life of passing moments that we try to live again
For a knight in shining armor, the princess is his all

0 comments:

Post a Comment