July 15, 2012

It's a romantic world, society just covers it up

People often wonder about what it is that they want out of life and how to get that thing. Indeed, I've had those thoughts as well and find that my answers do not come to me as readily as they might to some.

There are people who want to be doctors so they go to med school and eventually become doctors. Some decide they want to do something physical so get into carpentry, or become a personal trainer, or maybe get into construction. Others decide they would like a life of thought and learning so they go to university and then teach there when they're done learning.

I guess in my case, the hard part had been defining what I want. I come from a middle-class family so getting to that spot in either direction shouldn't be impossible and I'm still young so I have the time. However, some of the paths I've went down seem confusing to others (and even to me at times). I have a chemistry degree and am currently working on an MBA, I have an interest in piano, write poetry and stories on occasion, and somewhat less popularly, I love curling as well. So what is the fix? Become a chemist? Become a business person? Become a pianist? Become a writer? Become a professional curler (LOL, it's not like the NHL)?

I'm not saying that people know what they want to do. I'm not just talking about careers either. I'm talking about what you want to get out of life. I've found the answer to be much less simple than that of others.

I had a minor epiphany earlier and decided that the best way of describing what I want is to say that I want to live in or create a world where nothing is ordinary and every single thing has meaning. I think of society and see it as boring in the sense that people will look in a history book someday and say, "Well, of course they did this. Society was like this at the time so they pretty much had to." I don't want to overturn every single element of our society; I just don't want to look back at my life when I'm older and say, "I wish I had done this, but society wouldn't allow for it at the time."

It would be nice to find and connect with people who share something similar to this ideal. People who want everyday life to border on surrealism with a healthy touch of realism here and there. Come to think about it, I sound almost romantic. I mean that in the literary sense, as in romanticism:
"...validating strong emotion as an authentic source of aesthetic experience, placing new emphasis on such emotions as apprehensionhorror and terror, and awe—especially that which is experienced in confronting the sublimity of untamed nature and its picturesque qualities, both new aesthetic categories"


I think that style of thinking, at least, tends to summarize what I would look for in an ideal world. A place where we have a deeper appreciation of strong emotion that isn't governed by billboards and ads (guess that's why I'm in Marketing, eh?). I think that world already exists and must be rediscovered by people. It's a romantic world, society just covers it up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment