July 9, 2012

So wait, what's real again?

There was something I said as a complete joke last week on Facebook that inadvertently was actually quite wise. As some of you know, I am slowly becoming more and more obsessed with the Game of Thrones television series and its corresponding books by George R. R. Martin (he's so bad ass he has to have two Rs). I jokingly said that I had thought of some House words for House Milson if our family had existed in that fantasy world. The words I came up with were "Better. Honorable. Best," meaning that you should aspire to do things that make you better, more honorable, or the best at something. And you know what? Although that was written in a humorous context, that's really not bad advice at all. In fact, I mean to follow it.

I find that interesting. Just how much of a separation is there between fantasy and reality? Anything that happens in the physical plane is, after all, processed in the mental one anyway. Who's to say this isn't just all part of a dream I'm having or that I'm part of someone else's dream. So, no, I don't discount the wisdom in certain aspects of fantasy, music, literature, etc just because they don't always occur in the physical plane. They're not make-believe, really. None of it is if you don't want it to be.

People look at fantasy worlds and think about how brutal they are with the killings and style of life and whatnot. Really? Did we not just have a second World War that killed millions not some odd sixty years ago? Is it really that much of a stretch? How much do we choose not to believe because we choose not to see it? Remember this: Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment